Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Poem for My Mom



Carolyn Sue Lair
2/20/1957-1/29/2009

For My Mom
The Things I Will Miss

I will miss you forever
My mom, mamasita, momma, and friend
You were and will forever be a huge part of me
And I can’t wait to see you again when my life comes to an end

I will miss our daily phone calls
Our online chats at work
I couldn’t wait for you to call or sign-in
Our conversations always made me smirk

I will miss our shopping days
Black Friday was always so much fun
Dodging in and out of those crazy shoppers
Trying to get the best deal before the sun

I will miss Sam & I’s fashion shows
We would come home with a bag full of new clothes
You would sit as we tried each one on
And ooh and aww as we would pose

I will miss your love of crosswords and word searches
Your beautiful handwriting too
Sending me cards in the mail for no reason
But to say I miss you and love you

I will miss the way you loved to clean
Your Dyson was your toy
You instilled in me the value of a clean home
Your methods I will forever employ

I will miss our Sundays of Lifetime movies
Laying around doing nothing but vegging out
Calling each other every week
To see what the soap operas were all about

I will miss being hurried out the door for events
You always hated to be late
This my mother I will try to work on
It’s hard for me to get to work by eight

I will miss your sense of honesty
Telling me when I was out of line
I always valued your opinion
And hearing Calie Marie was never a good sign

I will miss the way you took care of me
Rubbed my hair when I was sick
Never left me without a hug and kiss
And talked to me for hours when I was homesick

I will miss the way you smiled
The way you laughed, smelled, and touched
The way you would hug with your whole heart
These things I loved so much

I will miss your love of family
Getting together as much as we could
Keeping a close eye on all of us
Making sure we were all doing good

I will miss your courage and strength
You battled on for 3 and a half years
You were not willing to give up without a fight
You put a brave face on through the fears and tears

I will miss you forever mama
I know I must now say good-bye
You will live in my heart always
And I will see you when I look to the sky

I know you are with Grandpa & Grandma
And reading stories to Shaelynn Sue
You are looking down on us and saying
I will always love you too

I will love you forever and always momma,
Calie Marie

1 comment:

robimac said...

Calie,
This is beautiful!
I totally understand even though I am an old woman....
Love,
Marilyn McCabe Campbell---
I am a second cousin of Conrad Totemeier. I also am a distant cousin of Bill and Milo McCabe.